People call me Lizzie Bee

PreviewPreviewPreviewPreviewPreviewPreviewPreviewPreviewPreviewPreview
People call me Lizzie Bee. Southern California is where i call home and I have a family that I wouldn't trade for anything. Taken By A Good Man. Life is too short to not enjoy the beauty, comedy, sadness, love and righteousness that it holds. So here I share the things that mean something to me, in hopes they will mean something to you as well. Like OrangeSUnshine Blog on FACEBOOK for streaming updates: facebook.com/OrangeSUnshineBlog

Monday, October 3, 2011

Alexandra Pacula


"My work investigates a world of visual intoxication; it captures moments of enchantment, which are associated with urban nightlife.  I am fascinated by the ambiance of the city at night and its seductive qualities.  The breathtaking turbulence of speeding vehicles and hasty pedestrians evoke feelings of wonder and disorientation.  The vibrant lights become a magical landscape with enticing opportunities and promises of fulfillment.

In our seemingly content society there is a struggle to achieve greater levels of enjoyment. We explore various environments and activities in search of pleasure.  Extravagant lights of night environments seduce us to participate in curious events, enticing us to experience new forms of satisfaction.

In my oil paintings I aim to capture various atmospheres that occur in such environments.  Through observation and documentation I assemble images, which become visual tools for my paintings.  I concentrate on how the mind perceives and evaluates surroundings while under the influence of a social climate. 

I recreate the feeling of dizziness and confusion by letting the paint blur and allowing shapes to dissolve.  I suggest motion in order to slow down the scene and capture the fleeting moments, which tend to be forgotten.  The sense of motion is intensified with the use of quick vigorous lines and sharp perspectives.  By interpreting lights in graphic or painterly ways, I create a sense of space, alluding to a hallucinogenic experience.  I want the viewer’s eye to travel within my composition and experience a familiar, exhilarating event of an actual nightly excursion. "

-Alexandra Pacula

No comments: